Custard apple is an exotic fruit to taste and is rich in nutrients. It has great health benefits, since they include anti-aging and cellular regeneration properties, it has the ability to prevent cancer, maintain blood pressure and many more. If you want to know more about this fruit and what is its origin, nutritional value, flavor, characteristics and if it is advisable to control and prevent any condition, read this interesting article.
Custard Apple? What is it?
Custard apple is nothing more than an exotic fruit that comes from a tall, leafy tree. This fruit is edible, and greenish in color, scientifically known as Annona cherimola. This shrub or tree, which can grow up to 10 meters high, is native to South America, specifically Bolivia, Colombia and Peru. It is grown in the fall and winter season just like oranges and grapefruit is a fruit rich in vitamins of the complex B says in addition to minerals such as potassium calcium magnesium iron and zinc. This delicious fruit is loved throughout South America and Central America and has been exported in large quantities to non-tropical regions in recent years. Not only are they relatively easy to grow, but these fruits are also packed with nutrients and organic compounds that make it an excellent dietary addition.
Although it has been naturalized in several other areas of the world, it is found mainly in tropical regions. Native to the Andes, north of Peru and south Ecuador. The fruit of this tree, for which the plant is grown, is green when ripe and appears to be covered with overlapping scales. It usually has a heart shape or is round and tends not to be bigger than a grapefruit. Larger samples can reach 5 to 6 pounds, but this is quite rare.
- Custard apple, also known as custard apple or Annona cherimola , is a fruit that grows on the custard apple tree, a shrub of the Annonaceae family, 2 to 7 meters high.
- It is characterized by being a very aromatic plant has a taste very similar to that of the pear, with a sweet and acid touch, it is quite easy to eat and usually the pulp is extracted with a spoon.
- Its original name “Chirimuya” comes from the Quechua dialect which means cold seeds because it grows high.
- Custard apple is three times larger than an apple, green khaki with flaky skin. Its meat is white, soft and creamy, with some large black seeds easy to remove.
- A ripe custard apple is recognized when its green outer skin begins to have some brown spots. When pressed with the finger, the meat should sink slightly (as for the avocado). It is also tested with a spoon because its texture is very melting.
- The pulp of this fruit is creamy and white and has a unique blend of flavors that compares with bananas, mangoes and pineapples.
Cherimoya Nutritional Contribution:
Cherimoya has a very good nutritional profile, including high levels of vitamin CB and vitamins, as well as copper, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. There is a relatively low number of calories, with only 75 calories per 100 gram serving, as well as low fat levels.
“Finally, there are also several polyphenolic antioxidants found in this fruit that have a powerful effect on your overall health”.
The main vitamin and nutritional contributions of this fruit are based on the fact that it is a fruit that is mainly composed of water and vitamins of group B. The following will be mentioned:
- Total lipids
- Total dietary fiber
- Sugars, total
- Calcium, Ca
- Iron, faith
- Phosphorus P
- Potassium K
- Sodium Na
- Zinc Zn
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B-6
- B12 vitamin
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
Custard Apple Health Benefits:
Some of the custard apple’s most notable health benefits include its ability to improve skin quality, strengthen the immune system, lower blood pressure, improve bone health and stimulate cognition, among others. Read on and find out more:
1. Skin Protection
With a high level of vitamin C, this fruit is ideal to help the body produce more vitamin C, which is a critical element of collagen production and therefore improves the condition of the skin and its protection. Collagen is necessary for the creation of all muscle tissues, cells and fibers of the body, including the skin. It can also stimulate the immune system to manage any skin irritation caused by an infection or chronic diseases.
2. It has Anti-Aging Properties:
When it comes to the antioxidants present in custard apple, it can be mentioned its anti-aging effect has been linked to the reduction of the concentration of free radicals in the body. This can reduce oxidative stress on the skin and other organic systems. Ultimately, you will see a reduction in the appearance of wrinkles, age spots and other spots, which will help you look younger for longer and delay aging
3. Reduce Blood Pressure
With a remarkable level of potassium in custard apple, this fruit can help lower your blood pressure naturally. If what you want is to reduce blood pressure, custard apple is rich in potassium, and this is an excellent vasodilator, which means that it relaxes the tension in the blood vessels and arteries, which reduces the tension in the cardiovascular system.
4. Improves Bone Health
It has a wide range of minerals; custard apple has been linked to improved bone health and density, especially with its high level of copper, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus. This can help delay the onset of osteoporosis and other age-related diseases.
5. Stimulates the Immune System
There are quite a few antioxidants found in custard apple, in addition to vitamin C, which can stimulate the production of white blood cells in the body. This can function as the first line of defense and stimulation of the immune system as it can help prevent both acute and chronic diseases.
6. Improves Cognition
Vitamin B6 is closely related to cognitive function, particularly in the prevention of Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. With a significant concentration of vitamin B6 in custard apple, this fruit has been known as a brain stimulant which improves cognition.
7. Prevents Cancer
Rich in fiber and antioxidants, custard apple can help prevent colon and liver cancer, as well as the spread of other cancers and tumors.
8. Improves Heart Health:
The healthy level of dietary fiber in custard apple helps the body absorb less cholesterol from the food it consumes, which reduces the chances of heart disease such as atherosclerosis, heart attack, stroke and coronary heart disease.
9. Fight Bacteria:
The health benefits of custard apple cream include its effect on harmful bacteria. According to a study published in the journal of basic and applied sciences of Beni-Suef University, custard apple custard extracts can kill strains such as Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhi and Staphylococcus aureus, the bacteria responsible for causing diarrhea, typhoid and pneumonia (among other infections). ), respectively. The effects are so remarkable that they could serve as a natural antibiotic.
10. Maintains the Weight:
It is a great help to lose weight and maintain it, consuming custard apple provides a feeling of satiety this is ideal if you are looking to lose weight while eating healthy and delicious. It can be added to your diet as a snack or dessert also serves as food after an exercise or sport routine since it is also recommended for people who suffer from constipation due to its laxative action.
11. Tranquilizer and Antidepressant:
It’s calming and antidepressant effect makes custard apple a regulator of the home nervous system for compulsive people. Custard apple contains an alkaloid that regulates the segregation of chemicals that cause depression.
12. Treatment of Anemia:
Custard apple serves as a stimulant, coolant, expectorant and hematinic. In addition, the rich source of iron is also useful in the treatment of anemia.
13. Improves the Risk of Arthritis:
The high amount of magnesium in the custard apple equals the body’s water balance and eliminates acids from the joint, reducing the symptoms of rheumatism and arthritis. Regular consumption also helps fight muscle weakness. This exotic fruit is also contains a decent amount of calcium, which is vital for bone health.
14. For Better Hair Growth:
Inhibits inflammation of the scalp, preventing hair loss. It also facilitates the absorption of nutrients, providing nutrition to the hair. The high amount of iron in which this fruit gives us improves blood circulation in the scalp, stimulating the follicles to promote hair growth.
15. cure Acne:
Acne is often caused by the accumulation of bacteria in the pores. However, the strong antimicrobial properties of this powerful fruit can help the skin. It will eliminate the bacteria that causes acne, making it less likely that outbreaks occur. The healing potential of the custard apple wound will also treat existing outbreaks.
Other Benefits of Custard Apple:
- A decoction made from cherimoya leaves promotes healthy blood flow during menstruation.
- The decoction can also be used to relieve dysentery, cold and fever.
- The juice of the green custard apple cream is useful for treating insect bites.
- A paste made from cherimoya leaves can be applied to a wound and not only aids in healing, but also destroys infected worms around animal wounds.
- Add the decoction of the cherimoya leaves to the bath water to relieve rheumatic pain.
- Sniffing the crushed leaves of the creamy custard apple plant prevents fainting and dizziness. Adding a few drops of the decoction in the nose can cause an unconscious person to return to consciousness.
How to Eat Custard Apple?
The best way to eat custard apple is raw. Starting with a ripe custard apple, you can cut the fruit in half, revealing the milky meat in the center, as well as the seeds embedded in it. You will notice that the pieces of meat will break easily. It can be consumed using a spoon since it is similar to eating an avocado. The seeds should be easy to separate. Note: Do not swallow these seeds, as they are poisonous. If you do not want to take out and eat the raw fruit, it is also a wonderful addition to fruit smoothies and salads.
Cherimoya side effects:
Despite the many health benefits of custard apple, there are some side effects to health that you should consider, including pregnancy complications, allergic reactions and possible toxicity. Whenever you consume the correct parts of the fruit in moderation, you should be able to avoid these side effects.
- Toxicity: Certain elements of custard apple have toxic properties, such as the skin of the fruit and seeds. Do not consume the skin or seeds for any reason, due to the presence of toxic alkaloids. In severe cases, consumption can even cause paralysis.
- Allergic reactions: you may experience allergic reactions to custard apple, especially in the form of skin rashes or irritation. If you experience this side effect or any swelling or inflammation in the mouth or throat, stop eating the fruit immediately.
- Pregnancy: Some research has indicated possible complications for pregnant women who eat this fruit, due to its stimulating nature. So consult a doctor before adding this exotic fruit to your pregnancy diet.